Pages

I am stainless

Copyright 2013 @Catherine Rodgers Giussani
Cloud Gate by Anish Kapoor, Millenium Park, Chicago, IL


Looking up into the center of the Cloud Gate, the public art sculpture by Indian artist Anish Kapoor on Labor Day I was transported to a world away from crowds, like the one in which I was immersed, away from the doubts about the labor market,  in which my days and ways get more and more confused. A warped world reflected in the Cloud Gate seemed to put people in perspective. They were just small flecks of color in an enormous every changing reflective space. 

It is "stainless" as my daughter would say to mean something grand, resistant to flaws, human and strong.  To be precise,  is 110 tons of stainless!  She made this up as a variation to the David Guetta song "Titanium" after seeing the movie "Pitch Perfect." I am stainless in the reflection of this object of art. 

Anish Kapoor's opening May 2006 revealed a monument to reflection perhaps in response to the  the economic downfall and the closing of so many steel mills.  A surplus steel supply melted like mercury into an enormous raindrop in the middle of Chicago's Millenium Park.  

As I looked up to take this photograph I saw so many people from so many places and each seeing something different, as if world travel were mirrored in a bangle bracelet for Atlas.  I felt uplifted with this idea of the future and present.