Pages

Missing toast and finding it

   Despite numerous recipes, ovens, kitchens, pans, parchment papers, classes and companions I can't bake a decent loaf of toasting bread.  I attribute this to the fact that there are so many others who can do it better.  I firmly point the finger at all the bakers that surround me for inhibiting my ability to bake.  Of course, I could try a little harder, take a class, get a new oven, but the consequences would be devastating to my ego.  Keeping these people called bakers at a distance might be good for me.  I love them, those bad boy bakers making me fat and happy.  How could I ever imitate their good badness?
 I've tried some of these recipes for bread at home to no avail. Nothing beats the local bakery. Italian bakeries have a long history.  The variety of bread recipes baked each day is astounding.  All of them are good.   Not to be out done in terms of diversity, Italian bakers have risen to the occasion.
All puns aside,  they meet the challenges of the ever smaller world and of a certain writer with a Scottish American bent who went looking for a simple piece of homemade toast in Milan, Italy.bread
For a decent piece of dark flour toast, try:  Rossi Rossi on Corso di Porta Romana for great multi-grain black toasting bread. Princi at Via Speronari for light multi-grain toasting bread.  My all-time favorite stop is the The Bakery Factory for pumpernickel and rye bagel toasted with lox and cream cheese,  a large tea and a generous side of great attitude and aptitude.